Tuesday 22 April 2014

Yes Sir, I am the Racketman!

When I landed at Malayan Teachers Training College, Liverpool, United Kingdom in the year 1953 and beginning to settle down in a small room at The Block Eight (8). We were considered as the freshies and of course we were not exempted from "ragging.". There was a big multipurpose hall at the college. This multipurpose hall was being used for all sorts of events including badminton.

As a freshie, I was not allowed to enter the hall without permission, unless to attend the assembly. As a freshie I was quite inquisitive to know what other activities were being carried  on in the hall. So now and then as I was passing the enterance of the hall  I used to peep through the main door. I saw a game of badminton was going on. Being interested in the game I bravely opened the door, fortunately no body seemed to care . So I stood near the door to watch the game. One of seniors saw me and asked me " Hey freshie, can you play badminton ?". I said "Yes Sir!". I being a freshie I have to address a senior as "Sir". Then he asked me if I have a badminton racket. I nodded my head and he then asked me to go and get my racket and be ready to play. I was so happy and ran to my room and had a quick change of attire and ran back in to the hall. I was then asked to play a double game and then I was asked to play the single game. The senior players were quiet impressed with my game and I was asked to come again for another trial.  Later on I discovered that the college was going to have a badminton match against a university.

That was the beginning of me getting involved in the College Badminton Team. After that I was quite active in the game and took part in many games against other teams in Liverpool and other Universities in U.K.  Malaya was then quite famous with Badminton and we were then quite busy playing with colleges and universities. I played both single and double games. If I am not mistaken I was awarded The Badminton Color by the College - Yes, Sir I was a Racketman!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am so proud of you, Bapak. To play inter-university matches in UK.... above all, it's BADMINTON ! The best game in the world. You are very very lucky. I guess, we all are very lucky... me , Nana, and Pit too.. and Mama.

    ReplyDelete