Sunday 20 April 2014

A Passion Lives on!

Another passion of mine that began during those early years was badminton.


I grew up during the wonderful years of “Malayan” badminton, my early heroes were the legendary Wong Peng Soon and Eddy Choong. Since at our house there was a badminton court built by my brother and I took the opportunity to learn how to play and my brothers were quite ready to teach me now and then. At the same time I studied hard about correct the way to play. I was then still in primary Malay school and fortunately at the school there was a badminton court where I also had the chance to play. 

My brother (Ibrahim) was one of the best Malay Badminton players of Ipoh or perhaps Perak. He often won in competitions organized by Ipoh Malay group. As far as I could remember he kept on playing badminton for quite a while. When I was transferred to Penang in 1967, he was still playing of and on at Butterwort where I joined him (his group) when I was transferred there. I was so interested on the game that I was prepared to travel from Penang to Butterwort almost every night , having to cross there by ferry although my wife, mama,  was not too happy because I hardly was at home after office until late night. I seriously started to play when I was at Kirkby and of course I continued to play at places where I was working, Ipoh, Telok Intan, Kelantan Johor Bharu, and finally in Penang. After coming back to Ipoh I began to slow down as my age was catching up and now its just armchair badminton, especially if Datuk Lim Chong Wei is playing - I guess the passion lives on!

1 comment:

  1. Mama was pregnant with me in 1967 when Bapak moved to Penang. No wonder mama angry that Bapak balik lambat! Haha! And no wonder I pun love badminton!

    Bapak, who is Ibrahim? Maybe I only know his nickname. I am proud to have uncle who can play for state.

    As far as I remember, Bapak became hooked on tennis when I was little. I used to follow him. As he played with his friends, I will be playing somewhere nearby. I can't rememer if I was playing tennis alone or what. Nana ... Did you ever follow us? Do u remember?

    ReplyDelete