Friday 11 April 2014

The Street Peddler

During Japanese time most of the people will do something to earn a living. Most people had no job especially the Government Servants. My father worked in a British Lawyer firm and automatically the firm had to close. My brothers too suffer the same except those working in Government Department.   We had to earn a living in whatever way we can. Some worked for the Japanese Govt. Some did some private business.


As for me I was helping my mother by selling Malay cakes (Kuih Melayu), Curry Puffs and Nasi Lemak all over Ipoh town. I walked to various places in Ipoh to sell. I carried a large rattan basket filled with whatever my mother had prepared for the day. My favorite spot was an open area beside the Ipoh Post Office where I had set up a small table for my enterprise. There I was selling mother’s food among the many petition writers. I also made some money by selling cheap local Japanese cigarettes. I don’t think my mother knew about those trade. Anyway, by singing for the Japanese and selling food and cigarettes, I had made a lot of cash and whatever cash I made all went to my mother. This meant that I had certain privileges, e.g., I could request a special meal for myself when others (my family) had to get by, by eating rice and boiled tapioca. 

My efforts as the street peddler had paid off - Nasi Lemak anyone?

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story Bapak. It brought tears to my eyes. Oh my. How lucky we are today. Bapak, May Allah bless you for all your help toward your mother. Ameen. Sob sob ... 😢😢

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Hello Boy!
    Ya you there!
    .....Two nasi lemak and three of those kuih and 1 pack of Japanese cigarettes....ok how much is that, ...ya here and keep the change........and Oh! yes in the future when your son brings back that report card filled with “Fs”, be gentle and forgive...in fact give him some cash and say GOOD BOY, I LIKE or something like that ….ok….(I started to leave him but then decided to turn back and hug the kid)….. remember what I said!”

    Wouldn’t that be something, to go back in time, buy stuff from him and maybe get an epic selfie with my DAD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nana...... Back to the future epilogue
    Something really deep

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today Aci continue the legacy. Mnus the cigarette.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing happened out of the ordinary.....just wondering what it will be like to be able to stand there and watch him peddle his goods in that square.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If Aci follow, she will cry and cry out of kesian until the Japs and petition writer all go away. So, Aci dont follow nana back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I starting to imagine ....
    Like Hindi drama. Pull hair, slam chest. "Take me with you! Take me!!"

    ReplyDelete